Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2025

Text Selection | Day 3, Term 1, 2025

 Day 2 Homework reflection: Task board

Homework this week was to introduce a task board to a group of tamariki and I forgot! At the last minute my mentor teacher had a great suggestion to record a reflection session on the task board used instead. So my students and I reflected on the learning intention and success criteria and the feedback I got from the tamariki was all positive (Very sure of themselves or good teaching??). I used Rob Wiseman’s Angry Angus Challenge (ground rules for talk) to guide us in this discussion and the tamariki really liked this which is great because I will be using this idea in my first Class on Air Episode. What I also liked about this session was getting feedback on how well the students felt they did in the learning and because the conversation turned to, "if you think you were not successful, why do you think that and what would you need to be more successful?", which generated some profound kōrero. 

How do I make this work for me?

I am learning how to make task boards work for me and my class.  At the moment I am mainly using it to front load multi modal texts related to the reader of the week. I have linked our weekly reading tasks to the task board but it is not exactly to the template recommended. I might need a session on setting up task boards?

DAY 3: TEXT SELECTION

As a teacher, day 3 made me really reflect on my planning, systems, programs, coverage (or lack of) in terms of how my classroom operates! The gaps in my teaching practice are soooo huuuuge and it's kind of overwhelming but I am an optimist and I am totally open to all types new information coming at me so don't get me wrong, I don't see this as a failure but just a whoopsie in my learning journey :D Also, this is my first year with Year 8's so it is all new to me! 

My 3 main take away from todays session: Grouping, text sets, summarizing.

Grouping: I group my learners based on ability and behavior. Research says that mixed ability grouping has it's benefits also... How might this look in my class? Something to take away and think about.


Text sets: I found this very interesting because I think I was getting text sets confused with multi modal. My understanding of multi modal was a bunch of different forms of text's about the same topic i.e. videos, books, website on gardening. However, see below for an example of a text set:

LIGHTBULB MOMENT! Sooo, when we were given time to start compiling text sets I got excited but also overwhelmed again.. How might I do this when my focus genre is explanation? Explanation = how things work = theme?  Would I be successful in this task if I compile a text set based on how things work i.e. light bulb, fan and hot air balloon as long as the structure is the same?

THEN.. this made me think about how I need to provide my students with all types of genres in my program, not just explanation. Lots. To. Do. 

Lastly, summarizing: I enjoyed learning about summarizing because this is not an area I am familiar with in terms of teaching. I found the slides easy to follow and understand. The task was a great way to see what it might look like in a classroom context and the dialogue helped too. 














3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Tiaira

    Thank you for sharing your many takeaways from RPI Day 3: Text Selection and for being so vulnerable about your reflections of the day. You are doing an amazing job of engaging with the content and having a go with implementing the suggested approaches in with ākonga. Do remember, much of this will be ‘new’ to many so you are not alone, and it is certainly not a reflection of your practice :)

    It was rewarding to read that you are going to think further about planning for text coverage and that your concept of text sets was broadened. Remember, a text set can be ANY grouping of texts that creates connection between the texts (e.g. idea, theme, topic, genre etc) - it all depends on your teaching purpose. A set can be any number that is 2 or more, and the way you group them is entirely up to you. On the RPI so far, we have given a lot of attention to ‘multimodal’ texts in relation to the different modes (e.g. video; static image; running print text) and different genre (fiction; non-fiction; poetry) because we wanted you to consider giving students opportunities to engage with the big ideas across different contexts and with different types of ‘modes’ to give students different ‘ways in’ (for example to build background knowledge or to rehearse the same content is visual, print, audio etc. for engagement purposes). I hope that makes sense and clarifies things. Happy to jump online and chat about this because we don’t want you to feel overwhelmed or confused if Dr Jesson’s explanation is conflicting with what you know.

    We are really looking forward to catching up with you again for Day 4 and wish you a really relaxing term break.

    Nga mihi
    Naomi
    For the RPI Facilitation Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Naomi,

    Thank you for clarifying text sets and multi modal, that was very helpful. I enjoyed Dr Jesson's explanation but it did make me think about some area's in my planning that I have not explored. I am learning so much in RPI and want to apply everything! Haha

    See you on Day 4.

    -Tiaira

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Tiaira,
    I continue to be impressed with your reflective practice, humility and willingness to learn! How great that you have had the opportunity to join the Reading Practice Intensive... someone like you really does get the very best out of these amazing opportunities.

    I really love that you've decided to tackle coverage, as with some consistent tracking, this can be enhanced pretty quickly, especially with all these resources constantly being fed in by the programme. That was one of my favourite things with the RPI... it's wonderfully resource building!

    I just love your Māra Kai taskboard! We need more of these for our beautiful kura... they can be challenging to come by when you're wanting to build a really strong and effective kete of te reo Māori resources and I feel it would be amazing to share amongst networks. Your start was wonderful and I know you'll be able to build on it immensely across your time with the RPI as taskboards are a regular thing from this point onwards.

    It certainly sounds as though your classroom kōrero is effective at encouraging learners reflection too... such a powerful aspect of a highly functioning classroom. It's neat to see you working in integration with your Class on Air mahi too!

    I see you've mentioned Dr Jesson's work in your above comment. I always feel really pleased when I see her use important whakataukī or whakatāuaki in her text sets as this is a more aligned way of themes within your space perhaps? I look forward to hearing more as you develop your understanding of text sets and multimodal approaches to reading.
    Keep up the wonderful reflection,
    Ngā mihi nui,
    Amie
    Reading Practice Intensive Coach
    The Manaiakalani Network

    ReplyDelete