Pages

Thursday, February 20, 2025

RPI: Tūhuratanga Ākonga/ Reader Profile Survey

These are some of the results from the reading survey with my Year 8 class. The results indicate that they enjoy reading at school but generally dislike reading at home. While a few students do enjoy reading for pleasure, it's clear that the majority do not. Check out our results:  

I like reading at school:

I like reading at home or in my free time:

I have a library card:

I go to the library to get something to read:

When we saw the survey results, some students laughed, some didn't seem bothered but the majority were pretty disappointed but determined to make a change. So, we talked about what we could do to improve our survey results if we were to take it again, and we came up with these three goals: 1. Obtain a library card; 2. Borrow library books; and 3. Read one book each week. When we spoke about how this will be measure we came up: 1. Bringing our library cards to school for a class photo; 2. Bringing our borrowed books to school; and 3. Completing a Google Form after finishing a book. I wanted to set manageable goals that engage the whānau, hoping to get that whānau buy in. One thing that the tamariki said may be a challenge is the 1 book a week goal. This of course being difficult for the students reading novels or tamariki who have busy schedules with sports and whānau commitments etc. Therefore we came up with the agreement that 1 book a week - fortnight is totally appropriate. 

Our homework/ 3 goals:

The google form allows us to track our reading progress by student name and reading group among other things. It has only been 2days since setting up the google form and I have already had 22 responses. It is becoming a challenge between the reading groups to see who has read more which makes it engaging and fun for the students but also encouraging tamariki to read. As you can see Maunga Ewharewha is out in front, while pīpīwharauroa has had only 2 responses. From this you may be able to guess who the readers are and who are not??




 

At the end of this term, we will review our progress, assess our current situation, and determine any new goals. I hope that by implementing these goals, we will see positive changes when we repeat the survey in later in the year. 

(N.B. The google form/reading tracker I am using was one sent out in one of the Manaiakalani after school workshops in 2023. It only has 6 questions, therefore not too strenuous on the tamariki)






2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Tiaira,
    And wow! What an incredibly powerful process you have walked through with your learners in regards to these results and some ideas to create shift. And how amazing that the ideas you've gathered are gaining such momentum already! Wow! I am interested in some of the different ways you could look at grouping students at different points in order to rebalance things perhaps. As part of the Reading Practice Intensive, we look at different ways of grouping learners in order to keep things balanced in a number of ways, so I think you'll be really interested in that part of the work, once we get there!
    I can see the motivation levels increasing already and feel sure the next reading interest survey you do (in later months) will reflect the incredible collaborative approach that has been undertaken here. Including considering whānau engagement as well.
    I look forward to talking more with you around this during our next session.
    Ngā mihi for all this incredible mahi,
    Amie
    The Manaiakalani Programme Reading Practice Intensive
    Coach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tēnā koe Amie,

    Yes please! I am so open to learning all the various ideas/strategies to group tamariki of different levels that will enhance their learning. One of the challenges for my class and I is to fit it into our weekly schedule so that it becomes the norm. Still working on this.

    Ngā mihi,

    Tiaira

    ReplyDelete