In today’s RPI session I was reminded that reading is not only to learn but for enjoyment! Reading has never been my thing. I would rather watch a movie or play on my phone! Naughty, I know. However, when my sister puts me onto a good book I can’t seem to put it down. So, today was a good reminder that books can be cool too if you find the right one. As a teacher, I could change my whole attitude about reading to help foster that enjoyment in my students as well. Let’s go whaea Tiaira!
Check out these results from a year 5&6 class on reading:
One part of our homework is to conduct the same survey with our own tamariki. If anything, it will start the conversation around reading for enjoyment and it could prompt tamariki to be more active with their reading.
There are two things that stand out to me from today that could improve my confidence in teaching. These are the ground rules for talk and using a task board. The ground rules for talk are going to help with how my students work together in a group and help with talking respectfully to each other. Although I have something similar to a task board, the one prescribed in RPI may allow early finishes to carry on with other work independently.
The picture below depicts older students reading to younger students in the library of a school. This is one example of reading for enjoyment among other great things like tuakana-teina, something I would like to implement in my class/ school.
Kia ora Tiaira,
ReplyDeleteWelcome along to the Reading Practice Intensive! I really enjoyed reading your wonderful full and honest reflection of Day 1. I feel perhaps many of us resonate with your comment about watching more movies and scrolling on our phones rather than reading books! It can be a sign of the time. However, I also enjoyed reading that once you're immersed in a good book, that it does really captivate you. I'm interested in what kind of books you enjoy that your sister recommends? Perhaps I would like some too. My sister has recommended the Lucinda Riley Seven Sisters series to me a long time ago and I've finally managed to get a copy of the first book in the series from the library. It's rather a large book so I'm feeling a little apprehensive, but hoping to make a start on it this weekend!
Ground rules for talk and a taskboard in reading are WONDERFUL additions to your reading programme! I'm excited to hear how your thinking around these evolves over the coming weeks, especially in relation to the reading interest survey you're completing in the meantime! Enjoy your classroom in the meantime and I'll see you for week 2!
Ngā mihi nui,
Amie
RPI Coach
The Manaiakalani Programme Reading Practice Intensive
Kia ora Aimee,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your feedback.
My sister recommended the Malorie Blackman Noughts and Crosses series. It was ok. Maybe not my thing. It was hard for me to start reading and the ending annoyed me but the middle was good.
How was the Lucinda Riley Seven Sisters series? Did you make a start?
Ngā mihi,
Tiaira.
Kia ora anō Tiaira,
ReplyDeleteOh that sounds interesting - I haven't heard of that series. An annoying ending is such a let-down! I've made a very slow start on the Seven Sisters series... perhaps I'll take it to the cabin with me this weekend! Hopefully I might get through a bit more.
Have a lovely weekend,
Ngā mihi,
Amie