Pages

Tuesday, March 4, 2025

RPI Day 2: Know your Learners as Readers

Recording yourself while reading + oral book review = PODCASTS!

Dorothy spoke to us about KPE (Kōrero Pt England) which are podcasts that learners of Pt England school used to show their reading and understanding of texts. The benefits are not only fluency, comprehension and engagement but it also became a tool for other learners to watch and learn from. This made me think about how I might use this is my class...? Google Vid? Screen castify? What are the rules? What are the learning intentions? I need to be specific and on point! 

I have had learners record themselves reading via screencastify in the past but had not set up a follow up activity like a review or set up proper boundaries to make it successful or long lasting. I do see the benefits in fluency and pronounciation, specifically with Te Reo Māori with some ākonga mixing up vowels and blends etc. I also think that recording a "Podcasts" may peak the interest of the young people in my class (year 7&8), therefore they will be motivated and engaged. 


Summative and Formative assessments

Formative vs Summative - Open Visual Thinkery

This kōrero made me think about how much I do reflect and assess on a daily basis which is good because as you can see in the illustration above, it is like the Chef tasting the soup along the way rather than just hoping and praying the tamariki learnt something at the end of the term! Furthermore, this section of the RPI also got me thinking about all the ways I use formative assessments without even realise I am doing it. 

We spent some time talking about PAT testing and what I found interesting were these parts of the test:

a.
b.

Picture a shows us the child's correct percentage and on the right to that it also shows the average score from an average student in an average school in NZ. This is interesting to see how they measure against the average student in regards to each question. Picture b gives more information about how they answer questions and from both of these graphs you can start to see the gaps in learning. 


Moving forward

There are a bunch of things I would love to incorporate into my class however, I will start with a task board and some inferencing activities. The long term goal would be to set up the Reading Challenge as I was highly motivated after watching Carly's video. The challenge is the lack of resouces in Te Reo Māori. If you are reading this and have already set up a bunch of Te Reo Māori resources, I would love to hear from you! 








6 comments:

  1. Kia ora Tiaira

    It was a pleasure to welcome you back to the Reading Practice Intensive for Day 2: Know your Learners as Readers! I am so pleased that you had a number of key takeaways from the day including the power of learner podcasting (covered by Dorothy). We will definitely be covering “Which tools?” to use for student buddy reading, and recording their reading aloud, on Day 3 so watch this space! But it’s great to hear that you think ākonga recording their reading will be beneficial for developing their reading skills more generally!

    It’s great that you found the PAT deep dive beneficial, especially in identifying those gaps and areas for improvement with particular text and question types. The List Report is so useful for picking up on the “low hanging fruit” by identifying questions with a lower class percentage correct.

    It’s also fabulous to hear you will be introducing the Reading Challenges to your students and aiming to ‘shift the dial’ on reading for enjoyment. Please let me know how you go, and how you plan to monitor check-ins with learners, to keep up the value and sustainability over time.

    All the very best with your practice implementations and coaching conversations, over the coming weeks. Please give my regards to Whaea Lynda and Susanne!

    Nga mihi nui
    Naomi
    For the RPI Facilitation Team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tēnā koe Naomi,

      Apologies for the late reply and thank you for your feedback.

      In regards to the reading challenge, each learner has made a copy of the slide deck and I have asked them to add the title, author and a picture of the text they are working on to the corresponding square on the reading choice page (page 2 of slides) to show their progress. Tamariki also change the colour of the square as a easy visual cue. I give the students 15mins everyday after lunch to work on their reading challenge and I monitor their work via highlights on Hapara during this time. Homework= read a chapter a night!

      I have taken on the challenge myself to model to the students how simple it could be because I felt like tamariki were maybe reluctant or confused about what to do. So far I have completed the newspaper article and the comic book sections of the reading challenge and I am working on my biography which is Temuera Morrison From Haka to Hollywood. Since doing this I have seen movement on several student's reading challenge slide decks, which is great!

      How do other teachers monitor the reading challenge in their classes?

      Delete
  2. Kia ora Tiaira,
    What a great reflection on Week 2 of the Reading Practice Intensive!

    Like Naomi, I too am excited to hear about your interest in podcasting! Did you sign up for Dorothy's toolkit on using Adobe Podcast? It sounds like a great tool! While I haven't signed up for the toolkit, I'll definitely be making time to watch the recording from her session as it sounds like an amazing tool and I love learning from people who have been there, done that, in the classroom with the tools. And that it certainly something Dorothy has done, as she shared with us the other day.

    I agree that reading challenges can be tricky with te reo resourcing being limited! Are there online platforms anywhere that do so? The only one I can think of might be Kauwhata Reo, which isn't really one you can set texts for learners unfortunately. Surely there has to be some development in this area coming!

    I love it when I see collections of reo movies as well... like this one through Te Papa. I wonder if there are ways you could create reading challenges with themes that include movies (viewing is part of the curriculum too... and movies can be texts too, in the T-Shaped Literacy model that encourages learners to read wide and deep that we often share about through Manaiakalani and Dr Aaron Wilson and Dr Rebecca Jesson's work. I wonder if the National Library are also able to make collections of books available digitally on a theme for a period of time.

    Lots to consider here in this space. I look forward to exploring it all more with you.
    Ngā mihi nui,
    Amie
    RPI Coach
    The Manaiakalani Reading Practice Intensive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tēnā koe Aimee,

      Apologies for the late reply- I need to get better at this blogging thing ay!

      I did attend Dorothy's podcast toolkit and it was awesome! We had a go at recording ourselves (I've forgotten what platform, maybe adobe?) and attached the audio to Dorothy's google form so it seemed pretty simple enough. I have shelved it for now but it is definitely something I would like to incorporate into my program in the future. I just need to work out my systems and find where it would best fit but yes, very cool!

      I do use Kauwhata Reo but is very limited. The movies on the Te Papa website are new to me, thank you very much! They look great.

      Ngā mihi,

      Tiaira.

      Delete
  3. Kia ora Tiaira,
    I love the analogy about tasting the soup and formative assessment. Using formative assessment is so powerful; great to hear you are doing this, even without realising it.
    I agree with Amie, Adobe Express for creating podcasts is a great way to go. It even filters out classroom noise.
    Ngā mihi,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tēnā koe Maria,

      Thanks for your kōrero. Adobe Express- Will you come to kura to show us?

      Ngā mihi,

      Tiaira.

      Delete